Greenhouse vegetable production is constantly developing. Consumers are becoming increasingly aware of the importance of healthy and sustainably fresh produce. Technological development is continuing to advance, cultivation under light is on the increase, and demands with regards to fruit quality and production are growing. In line with these developments, the market is demanding ever higher standards for further sustainability of cultivation.
Grodan offers a crop-specific range of substrate slabs for vegetable growing, specifically for tomato, cucumber, sweet pepper and aubergine crops. Grodan has adapted its range of substrate slabs and developed a wide range of innovative substrate slabs, on the basis of the cultivation characteristics specific to these crops.
Leafy greens and culinary herbs
NG2.0 Technology Growing has never been so precise
Next Generation 2.0 (NG2.0) is the latest substrate technology from Grodan. This technology enables propagators and growers to produce more while using less water, nutrients and space. It creates optimal growing conditions for a whole season, and allows roots to make better use of the entire substrate. NG2.0 is available in plugs, blocks and slabs to help growers and propagators produce sustainably, healthy fresh produce for a growing population.
We place a high priority on sustainable business. As part of this we set up a professional (country-specific) recycling service for our clients. This service is designed to guarantee that used stone wool products are recycled responsibly.
- During end-of-life processing, the material is segregated into three residual waste fractions: plastic waste, the remains of plants and stone wool granulate.
- Residual drainage water is carefully separated, so as to prevent it from leaking into surface waters.
- The organic waste can be used to make products such as compost.
- The shredded substrate slabs, blocks and plugs are recycled into raw material in a low-energy process for various manufacturing processes like brick, cement, potting compost or soil improver production. Some of this raw material is turned into stone wool briquettes and used in the ROCKWOOL factory to create new stone wool products.
- The plastic wrapping used for Grodan products is turned into plastic granulate and used in the plastics industry to manufacture refuse bags.
This re-use of resources from end–of-life products not only diverts waste from landfill, but also reduces the consumption of new raw materials, thereby reducing our impact on the environment.
GroSens and e-Gro
Innovative growing tools help the grower to monitor the growing process and to apply water and nutrients to the root zone with precision, limiting the consumption of energy, water and fertilisers.