At Grodan, we believe that the greenhouse horticultural sector plays a leading role in the efficient, safe and local production of healthy and sustainable food, now and in the future. The future of our global food system and the role of the high-tech greenhouse will only become a reality when we exchange plenty of ideas about promising developments and innovations in the horticultural sector. That's why our colleagues went into the podcast studio for the first time to talk to partners about five promising developments in our sector. The result? Our very first podcast series: "Growing a better future", in collaboration with the Radiofabriek.
The series consists of eight episodes of about 20 minutes each:
- In "Medical crops, business & education" colleague Rob Kwinten talks to Arno Hazenkamp, Board Member of the Legal Cannabis Coalition about developments, challenges, solutions, and the future of medicinal crops.
- "The increasing demand for circularity" is about circular sustainability for greenhouses, such as the reduction of plastic and reusing fossil fuels in the greenhouse. You will hear colleague Sander van Golberdingen in conversation with Alexander Boedijn, researcher in Greenhouse Horticulture Technology at Wageningen University & Research.
- Colleague Joyce Rasquin talks about the developments, challenges, solutions and future of the strawberry sector in "The strawberry sector is on the move" together with Johanna Bac-Molenaar, researcher Plant Health at Wageningen University & Research.
- The episode "Data" is mainly aimed at young growers, where Grodan's e-Gro colleagues Emilia Bosak & Paulina Florax talk about how data contributes to optimizing the cultivation process.
- Colleague Peter Spoor and Jan Westra, Strategic Business Developer at Priva, specialized in smart climate control for buildings and horticulture, discuss the latest developments around "Sensoring".
- From green thumbs to green minds. Green knowledge & innovation is key to success in the horticulture industry. Data driven growing is no longer a question of “if”, but “when”. Andrew Lee, Knowledge Manager at Grodan discusses transitions in the market, ranging from global findings to crop specific developments.
- Medicinal crops: merging science with experience. Dominique van Gruisen, Managing Director at Innexo and Ben Nikaj, International Crop Advisor for medicinal crops at Grodan discuss the importance of learning and working together to drive innovations in the market for medicinal crops. They even wrote a research whitepaper on the topic.
- Farms of the future. Sustainability is becoming an increasingly important global topic. Pádraic Flood, Team Lead Crop Genetics at Infarm, talks about decoupling food production from eco system destruction. Growing food in Controlled Environment Agriculture with indoor and vertical farming is one of the solutions.
All episodes are recorded in English and the "data" episode is also recorded in Dutch.